I don’t know how to buy a single roll. I only know how to buy the 24-pack, but most guys are only looking for a single square to get them through the day.
Me explaining my inability to engage in laissez faire dating and my frustration with dating guys my age.
Hayley:</b> Can we stop somewhere to get tissues?<p><b>Me:</b> There's a Whole Foods<p><b>Hayley:</b> I don't need vegan tissues.<p>
"I just feel so alone, even when I’m surrounded by other people."
Lost in Translation (2003)
"Why do I fall in love with every woman I see who shows me the least bit of attention?"
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) dir. Michel Gondry
- I make mistakes and that I am doing the best I can. That mistakes define us just as much as our successes.
- About the different cultures of the world, including hers, because she’ll be adopted. The things schools and the media overlook. How to respect them and treat them as equal forces in the world. Exposure is key.
- How to genuinely listen to a person.
- How privileged she is to be living in the United States and that, even on her poorest day, she is still very lucky.
- To be motivated by passion and not money. That work ethic is crucial but that sometimes life is unfair and it goes unnoticed. But, one day, it will get noticed and be her greatest asset. How to weave herself throughout the American system of work, money, and the middle class.
- Her worth is not defined by standardized test scores or how many college acceptance letters she receives.
- High school ends.
- That I am up for whatever she is in the mood for on the days when she feels trapped by her life or seems sad.
- To communicate. To be straight forward and not hide behind texts or social media. To ignore someone is to take advantage of that person.
- How to know when to let go of toxic people and embrace the people who love her. People usually come into our lives and leave our lives when they are supposed to.
- To be prepared for pain, that it is inevitable, and that it will pass.
- To focus on people instead of objects. How she makes people feel instead of what she can receive from them.
- To control and define her sexuality. To never allow that to be defined by a man. That there is nothing wrong with being sexual. That females deserve to enjoy sex too. That she should not feel ashamed of her body or menstrual cycle. It is her body.
- Women will always be stronger than men because they can give birth.
- Not all women need to get married or have children.
- It is not her fault if she gets sexually assaulted, and that I will support her in whatever she chooses to do afterward.
- If someone hits her, he or she will likely hit her again.
- Having a baby will not save a marriage or relationship.
- That her first time will never be what she expects it to be, but that it needs to be with someone she trusts and someone that respects his or her friends and/or parents.
- What sex is and how America invests too much in it. The importance of trust, safety, birth control, regular testing, and self respect.
- That her makeup is not what makes her beautiful.
- That beauty is always what we can’t have. That confidence and intelligence is beauty.
- It’s okay to have feelings and cry and express emotions.
- To have opinions and speak them. But if she suspects that she is going to hurt someone’s feelings then she should stop and think. Vote and be an active member of society.
- Strong people apologize. Even if it’s not their fault. Weak people run away.
- I’ll be there for her when she needs to release. Even when she hates me. Pity parties, however, should not last forever.
- It’s okay if she’s gay, bisexual, queer, or questioning. I’ll love her if she realizes that she was assigned the wrong gender identity.
- Don’t run after trends or status symbols but rather authenticity and building genuine character.
- Being a thoughtful, sensitive, educated, and kind person is most important but that I’ll support her if she needs religion.
- Family is not limited to DNA.
- A relationship that begins with lies will end with lies.
- Good people do what’s right when no one is looking.
- Holding a grudge is a waste of time.
- Doing charity for the credit or tax write-off is not charity
- The meaning of life is to be good to one another and to make a positive difference in as many other people’s lives as possible.
- Her secrets are safe with me.
- To help those who cannot offer her a single thing.
- That I love her. Every day. That she is what I am most proud of.
- That I will always listen, even if I don’t like what she has to say.
- That she is never alone.